View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:21 pm

Tottenham (h) 
Site Admin

Post Tottenham (h)
Great result last night. Spurs had a good result midweek so despite it being their first Premier League game of the season, they were obviously ready fort he trip to Old Trafford.

Defensively we looked solid and De Gea is coming along nicely. His every save seems to be scrutinised by the media and commentators and noticed last night that every save he made was met with "you'd expect him to stop those" comments.

Throughtout the team we looked good and it was probably only Nani and Evra that had slightly disappointing games. Jones and Evans looked good paired together at the back, Smalling is doing an amazing job at right back and have no worries about him playing there in Rafael's absence who may struggle to reclaim his place. Young again looked like he'd played in a red shirt for years, whilst Cleverley and Anderson looked excellent together. Rooney looks like he's enjoying himself once again and you can't fault Welbeck for his goal and assist.

However, I'm still not completely sold on Welbeck just yet. Maybe it's just because of his build that he looks awkward on the ball and that's what makes me think he's not up there with Hernandez just yet. I hope he does make it for us though and if he can continue with goals and assists like last night then I'll be happy to eat my words.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:42 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Tottenham (h)
Disagree about Welbeck, he showed several of his qualities last night. There was a couple of occasions where he showed off his dribbling abilities, he has pace and power and he works so hard to get the ball back. He also provided a lovely deft pass for Nani who almost scored and of course his assist was world class. He seems to be coming on very well with each game I see him in.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:48 am

Well, if we are going to go out and play like that every week then I for one will be delighted. That was like the United of yesteryear - up and at em at pace.

If we play like that all season then regardless of whether we win the league or not, it will be an exciting ride.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:43 am
UO Muppet Hater

rbw91 wrote:
Well, if we are going to go out and play like that every week then I for one will be delighted. That was like the United of yesteryear - up and at em at pace.

If we play like that all season then regardless of whether we win the league or not, it will be an exciting ride.

Spot on. More exciting watching that football last night than pretty much any game last season bar Schalke away and the various games v Chelsea (ok, and Bpool and West Ham away at times).

Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:35 pm
UO Illegal Cannuck

Was amazing to watch last night.

Like already been mentioned, United of yesteryear.

Attack after attack, and attacking with pace and being direct. Reminded me of the late 90s, early 2000s, where we just bombarded the opposition's goal at Old Trafford, with chances time and time again. 4-4-2 with flying wingers..The United way!

Very exciting to see the youngsters, and they look very very promising.
We could have a full first 11 teams comrpising entirely of young players under the age of 25 and be set for the next 10 years or so. Cleverley, Welbeck, Smalling, Jones, Brazilian twins, Anderson, Chicharito, possibly Macheda, De Gea...
such immense potential if they all carry on playing together....

Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:47 pm
UO Illegal Cannuck

Lindegaard
Vidic
Ferdinand
Rafael
Fabio
Valencia
Fletcher
Carrick
Giggs
Chicarito
Berbatov

Those were the players who were ABSENT from the starting 11 ...

Stick that team against any other team in the league and you'd beat most teams..

And this is excluding the likes of Park and Owen

Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:56 am
Site Admin

I am most impressed with Phil Jones. WOW! This boy has a monster future ahead of him. Big, strong, fast and fearless. There was one challenge in particular in the match that he was in on. I think it was Bale that tried to take a dive on him, and he was yelling at him to get up off the floor. I thought to myself: "Looks just like Keano there!"

Spurs had no legs in the second half of the game, and were ran off the pitch by our youngsters. Wellbeck and Cleverly seem to have a very good understanding of each other. All in all a great start, and like Russel says: "If we play like that all season then regardless of whether we win the league or not, it will be an exciting ride." I couldn't agree more.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:24 pm

Yeah, although contextually out of place the comment from the 1999 CL final of "Can United score? They ALWAYS score" is hopefully where we are going back to.

10-12 years ago I would lose count of how many times we were either drawing a game or losing it in the 88th minute fully expecting us to win it at the whistle. In more recent years we have gone into the 88th minute and I have been hoping we can hang on to a lead / snatch a draw. Quite a contrast.

As for Phil Jones, Darren, I was astonished by his perfomance. Looks like a player made exclusively for us. I don't remember a home debut like that from anyone!

Obviously Rooney's hat-trick against Fenerbache stands out but that was just 3 goals. This guy looks very Keane-esque in terms of attitude and that's exactly what we need.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:14 pm