View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:23 pm

Formations 
Hungry like the Wolf

Post Formations
With the prospect of Tevez joining the new signings what do you think the formation will be to include all the players?

I have been thinking about and would like to see us try 3-5-2 in some friendlies. It allows all our attacking options and give the defence cover with a holding midfielder.

Last edited by Doddy7 on Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:27 pm
Site Admin

I think you need to find a woman... :lol:

Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:54 pm

Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:57 pm
Hungry like the Wolf

I think you need to find a woman... :lol:

I've found one actually, just need to find the time to blow her up.

Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:20 pm
i've found one actually, just need to find the time to blow her up.

try being slightly less terrorist and you might get somewhere.

Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:46 pm
Post Re: Formations
Doddy7 wrote:
With the prospect of Tevez joining the new signings what do you think the formation will be to include all the players?

I have been thinking about and would like to see us try 3-5-2 in some friendlies. It allows all our attacking options and give the defence cover with a holding midfielder.

a 3-5-2 would certainly ease the problem of leaving out too many of our top class midfielders out.

But then you've the problem of deciding who out of Nev, Rio, Vid and Evra to leave out. I think the option out of that is obvious, but we're not a team well-drilled playing 3-5-2 and, Evra is the only wing-back style player that we have. (reports suggest that Anderson's preferred postion is a Roberto Carlos style position but i doubt he wll be used like that), which would mean that either Rio or Vidic sat out. How probable is that?

Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:57 pm
Hungry like the Wolf

Post Re: Formations
hetixo wrote:
Doddy7 wrote:

a 3-5-2 would certainly ease the problem of leaving out too many of our top class midfielders out.

But then you've the problem of deciding who out of Nev, Rio, Vid and Evra to leave out. I think the option out of that is obvious, but we're not a team well-drilled playing 3-5-2 and, Evra is the only wing-back style player that we have. (reports suggest that Anderson's preferred postion is a Roberto Carlos style position but i doubt he wll be used like that), which would mean that either Rio or Vidic sat out. How probable is that?

I was thinking Rio, Vidic and Nev. Play it with 3 players who can play in the centre, you could even have Hienze in the 3.

Last edited by Doddy7 on Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:08 pm
Hungry like the Wolf

Doddy7 wrote:
i've found one actually, just need to find the time to blow her up.

try being slightly less terrorist and you might get somewhere.

:lol: you know what i meant! :lol:

Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:09 pm
UO Muppet Hater

We had better stick with 44 fucking 2. We have a defence that works together now and one up front is awful. I think (and this assumes Tevez signs) we would see a rotation - keeping Rooney fresh and noting Saha spends a lot of time injured. It def risks offending someone but we challenged on 3 fronts with no squad last season and ran out of steam; as long as we stay in cups and have games everyone will play a lot of games and be happy, as with 1999.

The formation below also leaves our Carrick, but then Scholes will not play every single game all season anyway. Nani would be able to come in to give Ronaldo or Giggs a break, neither of whom can play every week all season, again, especially with Ronaldo in the Euros next summer.

It also leaves out Park/ Anderson/ Rossi (if he stays) but we know there will be injuries too.

VDS/ Foster

G Nev Rio Vidic Evra

Ronaldo Hargreaves Scholes Giggs

Rooney/Tevez/Saha

Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:18 pm
Doddy, yeah, Evra was the obvious choice to leave out of the choice of four defenders, but if you play 3-5-2 your wingers are supposed to be wing-backs.

I don't think that Nani, or Anderson are going to be used that way, or even that they'd be considered to be able to do that job.

Evra would fit the wing back position, but he is the only one that fits that description.

Which leaves the more probable formations of 4-5-1 or 4-4-2. Either way, we're going to have an extremely unhappy subs bench.

Solksjaer was an unknown when he came here, Sheringham was considered to be maybe past his best and was a stop-gap replacement for Cantona, both were probably thinking of half-seasons with regards to perfomrances. i can't think of any other positions in our squad who've had to put up with comptetition for places like we have now.

It's good that we've got so many players to do the job, but i've a feeling Tevez might just be the one who unsettles us.

Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:26 pm
We had better stick with 44 fucking 2. We have a defence that works together now and one up front is awful. I think (and this assumes Tevez signs) we would see a rotation - keeping Rooney fresh and noting Saha spends a lot of time injured. It def risks offending someone but we challenged on 3 fronts with no squad last season and ran out of steam; as long as we stay in cups and have games everyone will play a lot of games and be happy, as with 1999.

The formation below also leaves our Carrick, but then Scholes will not play every single game all season anyway. Nani would be able to come in to give Ronaldo or Giggs a break, neither of whom can play every week all season, again, especially with Ronaldo in the Euros next summer.

It also leaves out Park/ Anderson/ Rossi (if he stays) but we know there will be injuries too.

VDS/ Foster

G Nev Rio Vidic Evra

Ronaldo Hargreaves Scholes Giggs

Rooney/Tevez/Saha

that leaves no nani (17 miliion), no anderson (17 million) and no Carrick (17 million).

fletcher anyone?

Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:29 pm
Park might as well hitch a ride out of OT

Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:41 pm
UO Muppet Hater

It is a squad game. Chelsea have not had too many leaving in a tantrum. And when you are winning everyone is happy - look at treble season or Chelsea last few seasons.

Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:56 pm

Bear in mind that out of Oli's team, particularly the midfield, Scholes and Giggs certainly won't play anything like every game. There'll be plenty of scope for Nani, Anderson and especially Carrick to get lots of football - post-Scholes, Hargreaves and Carrick could well be our first choice midfield.

The best thing with the new signings is that Ronaldo and Rooney, although they are young and fit, will also get chances to rest - I think they both played 50-odd games last season.

And 3-5-2? No thanks!

Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:57 pm

Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:33 pm
UO Muppet Hater

4-4-2 all the time, its the UNITED way

From talk coming out of OT seems like it could be 4-2-4 with an emphasis on attacking, fast, stylish football - bring it on!!

Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:34 am

yeah i see 4-2-4 too with the 4 attacking players rotating all over the park.

Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:44 am

from what i have seen of Nani & Anderson they may well get bit parts for the start of the season......4-2-4 would be great, how exciting could that be....

Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:07 pm