View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:02 am

Alan Smith 

Post Alan Smith
With Alan Smith not being offered a new contract yet.Does anyone else feel that we'll be a bit light on the striker front. Especially with Saha and Solskjaer currently having operations or recently having them.I know Rossi is coming back from Parma and Rooney can play up front on his own but I feel that both are better playing off a main striker.There are goal threats from other players such as Giggs,Ronaldo,Scholes and Vidic.But surely a striker has to be a priority now?

Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:47 pm
Site Admin

As much as I dislike Smudger, I'm not sure I see the logic in not giving him a new deal at this point. Even if it is only one year...

Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:59 pm
UO Illegal Cannuck

As much as I dislike Smudger, I'm not sure I see the logic in not giving him a new deal at this point. Even if it is only one year...

The logic that he just isn't good enough for Manchester United and the fact that it'll open the door even moreso for Rossi.

The money we're paying to Smith could rather be put to use for someone else who might be more effective.

Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:17 pm
Site Admin

If they ARE planning to use Rossi, then smudger would become expendable as a striker. But, as a squad player, he's a better option in midfield than John O'Shea will ever be...I'm still not convinced on Fletcher as well...

Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:41 pm

If they ARE planning to use Rossi, then smudger would become expendable as a striker. But, as a squad player, he's a better option in midfield than John O'Shea will ever be...I'm still not convinced on Fletcher as well...

Agree totally, i do not like Smith as a person but his attitude and footballing attributes are far more better than players such as those mentioned by Darren and you can add Richardson to that list.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:51 am
UO 2006/07 League Champion

Depends what your preferance is Smith gives away as many free kicks as the others maentioned lose the ball either flaw can be fatal in the context of the game.

O'Shea has shown himself to be a fine utilaty defender last season an should never be used in midfield again Fletch is maturing nicely an with our new summer signings i cant see him being made to look like a fish out of water out wide any longer which should hopefully help his confidence grow even further from the superb end he had to the season just gone

Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:03 pm
UO Illegal Cannuck

As effective as Smith can be at times in midfield, you have to remember in the holding role we already have 3 options. Carrick, Hargreaves and Fletcher, and if worst comes to worst than O'Shea.

He's not needed upfront or in midfield if it were upto me.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:05 pm

if we were to sign a repalcement id be happy to sell smith.

Rooney, Saha, Rossi, Solskjear, Ronaldo, Anderson are all viable striker options.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:26 pm
UO 2006/07 League Champion

Rossi looked outstanding in the under 21's last night he changed the way the Italians played once he came it's the closest thing ive seen to a Scholes type performance of finding gaps that can hurt the opposition,If the lad improves his shooting from distance he'll be a complete all rounder

Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:41 pm

I'd prefer Rossi, Rooney and Saha over Smith in attack, and Fletcher, Scholes and Carrick over him in midfield, so in my opinion he's available for transfer along with Richardson and O'Shea.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:20 pm
UO Gaffer

Depends what your preferance is Smith gives away as many free kicks

Nail on head mate Smith just can not be considered as a midfield option any longer, especially given the new signings. Shouting and making badly timed sliding challenges don't make you Roy Keane.

He's still more than capable of doing a job up front though so not offering a deal unless we have someone lined up is plain daft.

Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:23 am

I'd have smith upfront over Saha.........it has been said Smithy is a decent squad player but that may not be enough for hm.......

Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:11 pm