View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:23 pm

That game on Saturday 
UO Muppet Hater

Oli wrote:
Abner wrote:
I believe we can only get stronger next year.

how the fuck do you work that one out?

Yeah...a little too obvious... changing that

WHAT??????????

Will Giggs be slower next season? Will Ole be one step closer to retirement and more off the pace? Will we get 7 months without a major injury? Will Chelsea have Terry and Czech out for so long?

We will not achieve as much next season as we did this season. This was the final fling before the debt kicks in and ageing players are not replaced. Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal will all spend more than us this summer to increase the competition (of course this does not mean it will def help them)/.

To suggest we WILL be better next season is ridiculous. It is far more likely we will come second in the league, and not have as lengthy a run in Europe.

Sat May 19, 2007 8:01 pm

Abner wrote:
Oli wrote:
Abner wrote:
I believe we can only get stronger next year.

how the fuck do you work that one out?

Yeah...a little too obvious... changing that

WHAT??????????

Will Giggs be slower next season? Will Ole be one step closer to retirement and more off the pace? Will we get 7 months without a major injury? Will Chelsea have Terry and Czech out for so long?

We will not achieve as much next season as we did this season. This was the final fling before the debt kicks in and ageing players are not replaced. Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal will all spend more than us this summer to increase the competition (of course this does not mean it will def help them)/.

To suggest we WILL be better next season is ridiculous. It is far more likely we will come second in the league, and not have as lengthy a run in Europe.

Giggs will be slower, Ole will be more off the pace - that I agree with. However, if as expected, we get the likes of Rossi, Pique & co. back - I do see some pace being added to our attack and well as our defense being strengthend. There is no guarantee that our new youngsters will perform, but I choose to remain optimistic on that front.
I also expect Giggs to drop into a more central role, in a position where guile and craft rathern than pace would be more effective - and thus still play some kind of role in our attacks.
The debts will have their effect but I still believe we will have one signing of note, and I hope that is a striker. If so, and provided the signing is successful, I feel Ole and Saha (his injury proneness) will be made up for, along with the presence of Rossi.
We may have had our luck during Terry & Cech's absense; but if my memory serves, we ourselves drew a couple and lost a game in that period, so we didn't exactly get maximum points at that time when we very well could have. Had we done so, we could've ended the season with many more points and probably much further ahead of Chelsea.
We were also fortunate to go so long without a major injury, but at the same time to lose 3 of our top back 4 in the important latter stages of the season nearly made up for that.

Sat May 19, 2007 8:23 pm
UO Muppet Hater

"if as expected, we get the likes of Rossi, Pique & co. back - I do see some pace being added to our attack and well as our defense being strengthend."

Unproven players. They MIGHT do well. Unlikely they will take us to the top of the league and have the impact of big names we have not replaced from day one.

"I also expect Giggs to drop into a more central role, in a position where guile and craft rathern than pace would be more effective - and thus still play some kind of role in our attacks."

So that we have no width? Park won't start regularly in first 11, so that would leave 2 men marking Ronaldo and either Richardson or Fletcher on the other wing? Or our only striker Rooney out wide meaning we have no one of note up front?

"The debts will have their effect but I still believe we will have one signing of note, and I hope that is a striker. If so, and provided the signing is successful, I feel Ole and Saha (his injury proneness) will be made up for, along with the presence of Rossi."

I think we can all expect that signing to be Hargreaves. After that which big name strikers do you think we can afford? I certainly do not see an obvious cost-effective choice. Saha will probably be off, Smith is not a first 11 striker, Ole is not able to play every game, and your previous comments would probably leave Rooney on the wing.

"We may have had our luck during Terry & Cech's absense; but if my memory serves, we ourselves drew a couple and lost a game in that period, so we didn't exactly get maximum points at that time when we very well could have. Had we done so, we could've ended the season with many more points and probably much further ahead of Chelsea."

That is absurd. We werte as lucky as we could be all season in EVERY game bar Highbury and St James Park. There were many more we could have slipped up in on a dif day than won if we are honest, a certain penalty miss by City for one. We will always draw some and lose some as that is football, just as WE screwed up in the last month of the season and Chelsea failed to capitalise. For every game we drew or lost we also had a lucky result to even it out; eg Fulham and Anfield. To almost suggest we would not drop those points in a different season is plain stupid, we are more likely to draw and lose more in future.

"We were also fortunate to go so long without a major injury, but at the same time to lose 3 of our top back 4 in the important latter stages of the season nearly made up for that."

No it did not. Having an injury crisis when you at the finishing line is very different. We also have more defenders than any other position. If Rooney or Ronaldo had been injured we would have striuggled far more.

In short, you are living in cloud cuckoo land if you think the biggest club in the world will get stronger by taking a gamble on some unproven players and putting others out of position to stop the need for a signing. We have always had a great balance of youth and experience, and now is the time that we need top professionals to compliment what we have going. In recent weeks we have failed to show leadership and no one taken key games my the scruff of the neck. The first 20 mins in Milan was no different to Turin in 99, but the difference between the two results was Roy Keane. Carrick is good, but not a Keane/ Ince/ Robson/ Gerard/ Terry type leader who lifts anyone around him. Beyond that our only other leader of that ilk is Neville, but influence from right back is needed. The other thing we now lack is a clinical finisher. We need a mix of Saha who plays good football and Ruud who bangs them in; eg Samuel Eto who does both things. THAT is not what you get from Smith, Ole, Rossi etc - we need investment.

Sat May 19, 2007 9:44 pm
UO's Canuck EH?

:cry: Gutted, agree with Darren could have gone either way, not our way. Gutted :cry:

Damn so close!

especially with that controversial call, I swear that was goal, it was over the line!

gutted :(

Sun May 20, 2007 12:56 am
Profile WWW

it was over the line but it was by giggs on cech. mind you essien fouled giggs before he slid in anyway - but hey who cares.

Vidic was the best player on the pitch, he wasn't at fault for the goal, I think VDS should've done better - but then again I don't have that much faith in him coming off the line as he has been suspect a few times this season.

I am mostly gutted for Scholesy - who should've been lifting the FA Cup. I agree with a lot of Oli's points he's made - next season won't be half as good as this years. No money. Older players (Giggs, Ole, Scholes, G. Nev) with no obvious proven replacements, and with Arsenal's young exciting team, Chelsea's money and strongest 11 and Liverpool's money and current team I think next season could well be bleak.

It wouldn't surprise me if we pick up Mark Viduka in the transfer market on a free - just echoing the fact we don't have big money to spend on the likes of Berbatov etc. I heard from a good source that Fergie is interested in getting Viduka in on a free - which will please the Glazers no end.

I am very depressed at this current time, although we can't forget we won the Premiership this season but I can't see it being mirrored next year.

I hope I am proven wrong and the Glazers fuck off.

Sun May 20, 2007 10:31 am
UO 2006/07 League Champion

We made one chance each Giggs stumbled into his Drogba stuck his in the corner.

Could has Mr C said have gone either way an for the joy of winning the Premiership losing yesterday has taken nothing away from that.

Sun May 20, 2007 10:42 am

As to the game yesterday, I think everyone will agree it was a pretty dull affair, one of the few games I can think of that actually deserved to be settled by a penalty shootout. Our main plus points were Vidic and, sporadically, Rooney - he had a couple of electric runs in the second half.

Fuck knows what will happen next year. We do have some potentially promising players coming back from loans, but if they are going to drive us on to success it will be in 2-3 years' time, not next season.

Let's assume we buy Hargreaves - who could do a very good job as a holding player, though I'm not 100% convinced. Even that outlay of £17m(?) will mean probably selling a couple of players to balance the books. We could be looking at losing Saha and Heinze, as well as some less desirable squad members (Richardson for one).

Then we find ourselves without a recognised top striker; if, as most people will agree, Giggs doesn't have the speed for the wing anymore then we only have one recognised winger. To go on and improve on this year we'd arguably need to spend £15m on a winger and £25m on a striker. I fancy my cat's chances in hell more than that happening. And, as Oli points out, a serious injury/absence for either Rooney or Ronaldo and we are very quickly up shit creek.

Sun May 20, 2007 12:50 pm
UO Gaffer

The ball was over the line. The referee did not give a foul. So...?

Anyway....

1 week after winning the league (playing proper United football to boot) and we're all wailing and gnashing our teeth again.

So much for keeping the faith.

Don't misunderstand me - I know fine well the constraints on us that the Glazers bring. But the way some of you are banging on, we're screwed before a ball has been kicked in anger.

Bear in mind - Chelsea lose Drogba, Essien, etc for a month in February. Bear in mind too what the gaffer has achieved this season. If you think we won't be there or thereabouts again in 12 months, you're trippin!

Sun May 20, 2007 1:46 pm
UO Muppet Hater

Don't misunderstand me - I know fine well the constraints on us that the Glazers bring. But the way some of you are banging on, we're screwed before a ball has been kicked in anger.

Bear in mind - Chelsea lose Drogba, Essien, etc for a month in February. Bear in mind too what the gaffer has achieved this season. If you think we won't be there or thereabouts again in 12 months, you're trippin!

Look how tired and jaded our players are. We have no strength in depth. I just do nto see how we can get away with that for 2 seasons. Yesterday our only injured attacking player was Saha, yet look at our bench compared to Chelsea. The difference in the game was their stamina; they brought on Kalou who ran cricles around us and Robben who was the best player in the second half for a fairly long period. We had, on the other hand, players far less likely to produce a spark of magic in extra time. O'Shea deserves credit for this season, but is not a player you want to bring on to win a match. Same with Smith, he will work hard but hardly a world class match winner.

Chelsea will almost certainly strengthen over the summer, and if we do nto then I do think we can expect to be there abouts all season then get pipped at the end.

Sun May 20, 2007 2:48 pm

Chelsea will lose Drogba,Essien,Mikel,Geremi & Kalou for 6 weeks during the season.

Losing Terry did set them back but im not a but they had Cudicini to back up Cech so im not buying into the theory that was a massive loss they lost the best keeper in the prem an had to suffer with the 3rd or 4th best keeper in the prem while Cech recovered.

We do have a few players on fading leg's an only time will tell if Eagles,Pique,Rossi,Martin,Gibson,Evans,Simpson,Cathcart & Lea go on to become quality of the Giggs & Scholes level or Greening & Curtis level but ive great faith in the boss's judgemant and if he think's these lad's have the quality to take on the next generation of the United way then im happy with that.

It may be that he's forced to do that by the fact we have no money but let's be honest you can spend 100 mill or more an not find the same quality passion commitment we have been lucky to recieve from Giggs,Scholes & Gazza to name a few.

The future may not be as bright as we'd like but i do believe we can look forward to the odd ray of sunshine coming through the black clouds

Sun May 20, 2007 4:21 pm
UO Resident Physician

We have relied on certain players all season and it is hardly surprising they didn't perform in the crucial cup games at the end of the season and we haven't scored from open play in 5 games. If we don't strengthen, I agree Oli, it will be a similar end to the season next year. The league would be our only realistic hope.

Sun May 20, 2007 8:32 pm
UO Muppet Hater

We do have a few players on fading leg's an only time will tell if Eagles,Pique,Rossi,Martin,Gibson,Evans,Simpson,Cathcart & Lea go on to become quality of the Giggs & Scholes level or Greening & Curtis level but ive great faith in the boss's judgemant and if he think's these lad's have the quality to take on the next generation of the United way then im happy with that.

NB one thing- you break potentially great players if you play them too early. They have to be ready, not thrown in because there is no other choice.

In 1995 ferguson CHOSE to field Nevilles, Scholes, Beckham etc. Other players he clearly feels need more experience which is why they go on loan and are not played. Recalling them from loan and shoving them on the pitch when they are lightweight will only ruin their confidence and careers. I am not confident that a) our young players are ready b) ferguson thinks our players are ready b) that he will have much choice whether to play them or not.

Sun May 20, 2007 10:07 pm

Fair point i would agree that 1 or 2 need another year to develop an to throw them in too early or out of position can have an effect that can put player's back as it did with Fletch.

Im not saying they are all ready to play 10-15 games each next season but im sure in the likes of Rossi,Pique,Bardsley & maybe Eagles we have players that will fill that bracket if or when needed which would hopefully gives enough time for the younger lad's to develop before they are thrown in.

Time will tell which players are used next season or held back til the one after depending which of our old guard show the signs of their age during the season.

Sun May 20, 2007 11:06 pm
Hungry like the Wolf

I mist out on the big Unitedonlie meet up. :( Was it a good day?

I tried all day to get the party I was with to go to Finchley Road. Got to London at 10am had a couple of pints at Euston, then we went to Liecester Sqaure???????

Still don't know why!

Gutted I missed meeting the gang. I'm taking charge of the next trip!

Mon May 21, 2007 1:36 pm

We are the Champions, that is what matters most, doing the double would have made our season "amazing", but it was still a great season that no one expected at the start.

This is an important summer for the club, the squad needs strengthening is we want to retain the championship. Chelsea and Liverpool will strengthen their squads which are already deeper than ours. We should use the fact that we are the best team in England and plaed the best style of football last year to attract players to come here instead of joining our rivals. Haregreaves alone will not be enough, I agree with SAF that we need 3 on top if bringing back some on the youngsters, if that happens we will be in good shape. Also wouldn't mind seeing Richardson and Silvestre being sacrificed to provide some extra funds.

Things will get clearer in August, my only hope is we dont wait too long like we did last year and end up buying one and selling one player of note.

Tue May 22, 2007 12:51 pm

I mist out on the big Unitedonlie meet up. :( Was it a good day?

I tried all day to get the party I was with to go to Finchley Road. Got to London at 10am had a couple of pints at Euston, then we went to Liecester Sqaure???????

Still don't know why!

Gutted I missed meeting the gang. I'm taking charge of the next trip!

Me too mate :x

"Take a lesson, come and see football taught by Matt Busby"

Formerly CJ

Tue May 22, 2007 7:49 pm