View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:28 pm

That game on Saturday 

Post That game on Saturday
Apparently we are playing Chelsea for some tin-pot or other? Thoughts...

Tue May 15, 2007 12:18 pm

apprently chelsea only have 15 fit players and a goal kepper as a sub striker.

perhaps we should move it back a week or 2?

Tue May 15, 2007 1:05 pm
Hungry like the Wolf

I heard the tea lady is in goal, the kit man is in defence and they have some bloke who did Jose Mourinho's windows once playing up front!

Tue May 15, 2007 1:42 pm

apprently chelsea only have 15 fit players and a goal kepper as a sub striker.

perhaps we should move it back a week or 2?

So much for spending all those millions on the club, Mr. Abramovich...

When are Mourinho's excuses going to start coming out? I'll say, probably from Thursday onwards.

Tue May 15, 2007 2:00 pm

i wouldnt be at all suprised to see Carvahllo, Mikel and Robben play.

as for us, id go with

VDS
Oshea Rio Vidic Evra
Scholes Carrick Fletcher
Ronaldo Rooney Giggs

Oshea and Evra as they are better attacking and id have Fletch in because i think he deserves to start and if he can get amongst Lampard and Makalele then we have a great chance.

i honesltly think we should jsut go at them from the whistle.

Tue May 15, 2007 2:49 pm
UO's Canuck EH?

Agree with that Birchy, if we take it easy from the whistle we'll get caught sleeping im afraid, we need to take it to them.

Try and nab an early goal, settle things down for us, open the game up.

Last thing I want to see - and I'm sure it will happen - is both side playing conservative until someone makes a mistake.

Something seems fishy about Mourinho's desperation, haha putting Hilario as a sub striker. I bet Mikel, and co will be just fine. If they are injured, then tough luck, we've shown we can scrape wins despite having all sorts of injuries.

Tue May 15, 2007 3:15 pm
Profile WWW

Agree with Birchy about Fletcher, i must admit i am not one of his biggest fans but i think his work rate would be needed against a strong Chelsea midfield. i would probably have Wes and Gabi as Full backs especially with Rio and Vidic just comming back from injuries.
I don't know about you guys but i have a bad feeling about this game, i hope i am wrong!

Wed May 16, 2007 1:48 am

I agree with the squad Birchy's suggested. Going at them right from the start is the best way here...

This story about Hilario playing as Chelsea's sub-striker makes me laugh. Not really the story actually, but more so the absurdity of it. No one will believe this, specially not our fans... wonder if he expects his own fans to buy this? Speaks volumes about them then...

Wed May 16, 2007 3:45 am

Agree with birchy's line up, we seem to stick to that formation for the bigger matches, and against Chelsea we need to match their numbers in midfield.

Mourinho is just having some fun before the final, Robben will probably make it and he will have kalou and Sahar as the two strikers on the bench, as I see Drogba being the lone striker with Robben, Cole, Makalele, Lampard, and Wright-Phillips starting.

I think the pressure will be on Chelsea having just lost the premiership, I just hope we can take advantage of this, and not let them gain confidence and control during the game.

This is a chance to do a unprecedented 4th double, should be a fitting match to officially open the new Wembley.

Wed May 16, 2007 7:59 am
Site Admin

Mish, I've not been following Chelsea's rumoured injuries that closely so forgive me if I'm wrong but wouldn't you expect Essien to start in midfield?

Maybe you're assuming he'll play in defence but with Mikel out I can't really see them starting with three wingers playing in midfield with Cole, SWP and Robben.

Wed May 16, 2007 8:43 am
Profile WWW

Essien will probally play at centre back with Terry.

which is a geat plus to us.

Wed May 16, 2007 8:55 am
UO 2006/07 League Champion

VDS
Brown/Fletch
Rio
Vidic
Gabby
Ronaldo
Carrick
Scholes
Giggs
Rooney
Smith

I do agree Fletch deserves a game he was superb in the run in but i cant see how we keep the balance to attack down the flanks with him in the middle which is why i'd be almost tempted to play him on the right again he has a great engine to try an effect the game from back there as he did in the games we used him as a RB

Wed May 16, 2007 10:29 pm

I doubt Alan Smith will start to be honest. I'm going with Rooney and Ronaldo having a free role. Then giggs, scholes, Carrick and Fletcher in midfield and the defence with Rio, Gabby, Vidic and Brown/O'Shea. Probably change then after the first half. I remember Ferguson playing a similar formation before.
If Alan Smith starts then I think your line up sounds just about right with Rooney and Ronaldo on the wings and Smith up alone.

Thu May 17, 2007 3:07 am

SAF has said he doenst know his team but it is down to 14 players

i lloks like the dilemmas are

Evra/Henize
Oshea/Brown
Fletcher/Smith/Solskjear

Thu May 17, 2007 9:01 am
Site Admin

van der sar
brown, ferdinand, vidic, evra
ronaldo, scholes, fletcher, carrick, giggs
rooney

if we play two up top then i'd expect them to pretty much cut out any danger as they'll go man for man. However, with Rooney up top on his own I'd expect him to be able to pull Terry out wide which will leave space for Giggs, Carrick, Scholes, Ronaldo to move forward and exploit the space vacated by Rooney.

i'd expect them to play 5 across midfield so i think we need to match them and give fletcher a man marking job on lampard so that he can't attack from deep. we've seen what scholes can do from deep over the years and lampard possesses that same threat so if we can cut that out and vidic can do a job on drogba then i'm confident of a win.

Thu May 17, 2007 10:03 am
Profile WWW
UO 2006/07 League Champion

That does make far more sense than my line up i was thinking they dont have enough fit players for a 5 man midfield on Saturday an may play it differantly.

Having said that as it's been mentioned it wouldnt suprise me if they have a suprising return to fitness of 1 or 2 struggler's by KO on Saturday

Thu May 17, 2007 10:36 am
Site Admin

A few people have mentioned essien as a center back alongside Terry but our main threat comes from midfield so i'd expect them to play their strongest midfield available which will be essien, lampard and makelele in the middle with two wingers from robben, swp and cole.

If they move essien into defence then they'll have to play a patched together defence and patched together midfield so i'd have expected mourinho to play his strongest midfield and try and protect his back four.

Whichever way it goes though, we're more than capable of beating them if we play to our potential and having just won the title our boys should be full of confidence going into this whilst the chelsea players will hopefully be playing with the fear of ending the season with only the carling cup when a few weeks ago they were still playing for all four trophies.

Thu May 17, 2007 10:44 am
Profile WWW

I would have thought they will play Essien at centre back, especially if Mikel is fit, because Ferreira is murder in the middle and he clearly doesn't trust Boulahrouz.

I think we should go with the 4-1-4-1(ish) that served us so well against Roma. I'd go with Brown and Evra (he looked pretty sharp on Sunday given the amount of games he has missed) as full-backs.

Thu May 17, 2007 11:48 am

i dont think they have any other choice than essien at the back to be honest.

is belarouhz suspended for his red against arsenal?

Thu May 17, 2007 11:52 am
Regardless of the side that side that we're going to face, it's so hard to predict what kind of form we're going to be in for this game.

Performaces in the Milan, City and West Ham games were all particular to circumstances in-so-far as we were either injury struck, in a derby where form goes out the window, pitted against arguably the best team in Europe in their own backyard, or playing with nothing at stake.

As far as our own game is concerned, if we can play our best attacking football we'll win it.

I can't remember a game this season (apart from Milan) where Ronaldo has done nothing, Scholes has been fantastically consistent and Michael Carrick's game has improved and improved and i can't see him having a quiet one.

Giggs has surprised me again this season, although I'm not sure he's been as good as he was in the second half of last season in the middle of the park, but i expect him to be threatening enough over the ninety minutes.

The only player that worries me is Rooney. As fantastic as some of his football has been this season, and as great an impact as he has had overall, he's the one player out of all our 'big guns' that can seem to be the most ineffective if he's off his game. At times, and for entire matches this season he's been sloppy with his passing and poor with his finishing. At times he's salvaged pretty shabby performances with one passage of great play, which you take at the end of the day, but if that's missing and the rest of the approach play isn't there either we look impotent up front.

Obviously we have to be on our game defensively, and i think we're well equipped for that, but if we get Rooney playing I think we're favourites to win it.

Thu May 17, 2007 1:18 pm