View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:42 am

BASEL 

Post BASEL
Been away for a weeks its very quiet on hear, try kicking things off again.

Huge Huge game on Wednesday, Not sure if it is good that we only need a point dont want to go there playing with that mentally.
This will be tricky dont think we will win but wont loose either so will go through.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:24 am
UO 2008/09 League Champion

Post Re: BASEL
Playing for a point is certainly not the way to approach the game.
We don't want Madrid/Barca in the next round.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:46 pm

Even if we win John I think we are playing for second as can only See Benfica winning at home so may have to hope for APOEL in the next round.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:43 pm
UO Muppet Hater

Apoel, Leverkusen or Inter will be easier ties than Bayern/ Barca/ Munich. I don't see us finishing top so a 50-50 chance of a decent tie still is alright, though one of the harder 3 will be a very big ask.

Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:48 am
Site Admin

It's always pretty shocking and embarrassing to go out in the Champions League group stages but to go out in a group that consisted of Benfica, Basel and Otelul Galati is pretty humiliating.

We were the better side yesterday but it's really been our home form in the Champions League which has cost us. I know Fergie always says, if you win all your home games and then grab a couple of points away from home then you're through so to draw 3-3 at home to Basel and 2-2 to Benfica is really what cost us. When you consider that we were 2-0 and 2-1 up in those games, it's so unusual for us to throw games away, especially against sides which we should be going on and beating by a few goals.

There's a lot of reaction saying that we must buy a midfielder but I think all United fans still thought that at the beginning of the season even when we were beating the likes of Arsenal 8-2. The youngsters are all looking good, we're missing Cleverley at the moment and the core squad is looking good but I think we're only just seeing that they need a bit of time to gell together and get rid of mistakes in their game so that they all become consistent.

We're strong in all positions so I don't think there needs to be any talk of a clear out (apart from possibly Gibson and Evans) so if we can bring in one quality midfielder next summer who's already established and can immediately take on the Scholes/Giggs creative role then I think we'll be set.

It's disappointing but we're still in with a good shout for the league, have a mouth watering prospect of City in the FA Cup and winning the Europa League wouldn't be that bad a consolation as long as it doesn't distract from the league.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:53 am
Profile WWW
UO Gaffer

Spot on about home form Dave. That performance last night though was abysmal - Park and Smalling especially for me really stunk the place out. At times watching them play through our midfield as if we weren't even there was scary. If Basel can do that to us I shudder to think what would happen against a "real" top quality side.

What's the deal with Fletcher? Is he still suffering following the virus problems? Just could not for the life of me understand why he didn't play.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:37 pm

Is it true Fletcher that has Crohn's disease? I notice he wasn't even on the bench on Saturday.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:45 am