View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:53 am

Basel (h) 
Site Admin

Post Basel (h)
Disappointing result but with 10 minutes to go we'd have taken the draw.

Teams have been creating chances against us all season and the fact that De Gea has made the most saves in the Premiership speaks volumes so it was only a matter of time before a team started putting those chance away.

It came in a game that didn't really cost us though so hopefully this will bring us back to reality and make us realise that we can't keep expecting to conceed 2 or 3 and score 4 or 5 up the other end.

I'm sure once Rooney and Hernandez are fit again then teams won't be as adventurous going forwards but it's the first time where I think many people will be hoping Vidic will be fit again as soon as possible.

Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:47 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Basel (h)
In the long run I think this and the Stoke draw will hopefully be a good thing, keeping our feet on the ground and reminding the players that this team is still a work in progress. Phil Jones, for all his marauding runs forward, does still have a thing or two to learn about the art of defending.

Attack wise I was pleased that we managed to create plenty of chances despite Rooney's absence, although that was partly to do with the amount of space they were allowing us. It was more through sloppiness than a lack of creativity that we hadn't put the game to bed by half-time.

Anyway. Better to have a blip now than against Liverpool/City...

Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:18 pm

Agreed. I think we'd be better off using Jones at right-back once we have Vidic back. But every member of the back four was guilty of being posted missing at one point or another. Evra's defensive positioning seems to be getting more and more erratic, though he's so good going forward I'm almost prepared to forgive him that. Far from being close to putting the game to bed in the first half, we could quite conceivably have been 4-2 down at the break.

It's certainly not time for the irrational toys out of the pram attitude some so-called United fans have been demonstrating in the past 18 hours, but there's plenty of work to be done on our defending. I was a little bit disappointed that we started with a lone striker, especially when we had three strikers desperate for a game sitting on the bench. Welbeck had a good game and held the ball up quite well, but was too isolated at times.

Having said all that, Basel looked a very tidy outfit with two excellent forwards and useful central midfield. So we could really do with six points from our next two group games, as the trip to Switzerland won't be easy.

Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:31 pm

Shaun wrote:
Would quite like Vidic back for the away trip to Stoke, it's going to be a physical battle and De Gea is going to need some protection in front of him.

Said this straight after the Chelsea game and think we are missing him more than Rooney/Hernandez. Last night we looked threatening going forward and we looked dangerous every time we gave ball to our wingers. But at the back we looked vulnerable (and we did against Stoke too). I always feel nervous without Vidic, even if Ferdinand is playing. He has been our best player for a couple of seasons now and we are missing him badly at the moment. Once he gets back the clean sheets will follow, I am sure of it.

Ferguson made some strange decisions last night too - not starting Berbatov or Owen was one, I would have liked to have seen us play with two forwards at home! I thought Giggs was our most creative player in the first half (getting two assists) and it made no sense to bring him off in the second half. I think tactically Ferguson made some errors last night but overall we were sloppy and poor positioning from Evra, Jones and Fabio/Valencia cost us.

The two positives were a couple more world class saves by De Gea and the two goals by Danny Welbeck, who I think is our second best striker right now. Thankfully we managed a point and I believe we'll take 6 points from the next two games meaning we'll be right back in control of the group again.

Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:13 pm

The last time Vida missed a big portion of the season Chelsea won it.

Jones is quality but has not gelled well with Rio. That might not be Jones's fault!

For me, we lack something centre mid. We just don't seem to dominate that area enough.

Away to Stoke was a good point. It's a bloody battle and other top teams will struggle there.

Last nights game was a game we would have won with more time...................we just ran out of time!

Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:06 pm

Cookster68 wrote:

For me, we lack something centre mid. We just don't seem to dominate that area enough.

We were pretty decent there in the first 3 or so games of the season, when Anderson and Cleverley were together. Unfortunately Cleverley's injury meant that he missed his first proper test - v Chelsea.

Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:57 pm