View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:41 pm

Bolton (A) 

Post Bolton (A)
Great performance and result
Only negative was Cleverly's injury, I hope it's not as bad as it looks.
we have already had Ferdinand & Vidic out and it doesn't seem to have affected us, Evans doing well again, Jones an absolute monster of a player & the combo of Cleverly & Anderson despite being light defensively is devastating going forward and it just suits the speed of our wingers and forwards, Carrick did well when he came on and he was the reason Rooney wasn't dropping so deep as Carrick offers better protection to the defense but I still feel as good as he is, he slows down our play the same way as Berba does when he plays upfront
18 goals in 4 games is an awesome return but a 1-0 win at home to Chelsea would do just fine, they would probably settle with that the way we are playing now :p
P.s.
Things are going really quite on here, this is a wonderful forum to be part of, let's keep it going lads.

Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:33 am

Post Re: Bolton (A)
Another super performance pity about Cleverly though. I thought some of the challenges Bolton were putting in were well over the top, Kevin Davies should have been sent off and Paul Robinson put a nasty one in on Nani which he didn't even get booked for. So in that respect i was glad we gave them a good hammering yesterday. Jones slotted in at right full just as well as Smalling has, it's great to have such versatlie young players with their quality. It was also good to see Chicarito picking up exaclty where he left off last season, big test against Chelsea next week though...

Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:12 pm
UO Muppet Hater

Most amazing stat for a while; Rooney is the only player to star both the title winning game v Chelsea in May last season, and the 8-2 drubbing of Arsenal.

So in under 4 months 9and about 5 or 6 games) we switch 10 first team players and look better not worse than a title winning side. If you'd have looked at the team that beat Chelsea last May and then taken out VDS, both Da Silvas, Rio and Vidic, Valencia and Giggs, Park, Carrick and Hernandez, who would have thought what was left int he squad would beat Arsenal 8-2 (plus Owen, Berba, Park not even involved in 8-2)?

Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:37 pm

Interesting observation Oli
If someone had named the line up we had against Arsenal 4 months ago I would be terrified going into the game, amazing times but still early days, I haven't felt like this since the day we introduced Beckham and co. some years back, even back then we didn't look as devastating as this, really looking forward to the Benfica & Chelsea games.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:58 pm
Site Admin

Another great performance. Looking at this weekends fixtures I thought both ourselves and Liverpool had tricky away games where points could be dropped but we made quick work of Bolton whilst Liverpool struggled.

Obviously the big test comes next weekend against Chelsea but we're full of confidence at the moment and I can't imagine any team wanting to play us at the moment the way we're playing and scoring goals. Every time we go forward it looks like we could score, it's exciting to watch.

But on the cautious side. We haven't looked all that solid at the back and teams are creating a few chances. Tottenham and Bolton could both have scored goals whilst we were a bit sloppy for Arsenal's two goals. At the moment it hasn't mattered as we've got the confidence to go forward and score at will but against some of the better sides we need to make sure we don't get punished at the back.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:16 pm
Profile WWW

Dave wrote:
Every time we go forward it looks like we could score, it's exciting to watch.

We haven't looked all that solid at the back and teams are creating a few chances.

.... and that, as has been mentioned before in the forum, is exactly the United of yester-year!

Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:47 pm