View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:39 am

Community Shield 
Site Admin

Post Community Shield
A bit of a nervy start for De Gea. I thought Cleverly and Wellbeck were fantastic. Nani was magnificent. Always nice to beat Citeh. Best Community Shield game I can ever remember...

Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:46 pm

Post Re: Community Shield
Really enjoyable game. The younger players did really well Welbeck and Cleverly in particular, Smalling also did very well at right back. Ashley Young looks to have settled in straight away which is great to see.

Our second goal what absolutely brilliant that was champagne football. And what better way to win it with a last minute goal like that brilliant! Hopefully we can carry this form into the league...

Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:38 pm

I actually think the 3-2 scoreline flattered City!

Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:02 pm

Excited by the prospect of Jones, Smalling, Welbeck and Cleverley.

Who needs Wesley Sneijder when you've got Tom Cleverley!

Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:10 pm
Site Admin

Awesome second half display to come from 2-0 down. Even at half time we'd been the better side and they never deserved the lead. I thought De Gea had a decent game despite the critisism, he couldn't do much about the first one and just gambled on where he thought the header was going to go, he could have done better for the second but it bounced just in front of him... it's not like he made any huge mistakes and sure he'll only get better. He came for crosses well and his distribusion was great at times.

Cleverley looked class when he came on and made a huge difference, if he keeps that level up then it's difficult to see where Carrick fits in to our starting eleven.

I'm never really that concerned about the Community Shield but the fact that it meant so much to City, it was nice to get one over on them, especially as the 3-2 scoreline really flattered them.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:38 am
Profile WWW
UO Muppet Hater

I wasn't bothered about the result before the game, it is a friendly after all and by May no one will remember this result either way. However, at 2-0 down logic left me and emotion took over - I was furious. And that worked out well - I appreciated the comeback all the more!

I've always been a big fan of Wellbeck but have been a bit slower to hype Clerveley up. He tended to look a bit lightweight (like Wellbeck pre Sunderland) and do it at reserve level but not on the biggest stage. Yesterday that changed - his performance turned the game and he was an absolute sensation. The delicate touch for the second goal summed it all up. Total class.

Great day out!

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:08 am