View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:45 am

Kiko Macheda 

Post Kiko Macheda
Just wondering what everyone thinks about Kiko Macheda. Personally I think Michael Owen's contract extension is going to stunt his development; which would be a footballing travesty. He's come back from Sampdoria saying he never wants to leave us again and seems to be putting a lot into his pre-season performances. He was very very impressive again last night (bear in mind it was only 1-0 and Seattle the better side at half time when Macheda came off). He didn't score but his general play was superb, didn't give the ball away and was very unselfish. He turns 20 in a month and although it seems like ages since that explosive and exciting debut against Villa I still think he has a bright future.

I have watched youth and reserve games for over a decade and I would have to say that he was by far the most accomplished young striker i'd seen at those levels (including Rossi, who was often bullied out of games). I thought he was a better prospect than the previously erratic Welbeck, although Welbeck seems to have benefited greatly from a year at Sunderland and is now a full England international; no mean feat irrespective of how poor England are.

Basically I see no benefit of having Michael Owen sat on our bench and playing league cup fixtures given Macheda has proven himself to be as effective coming off the bench and because it serves our long term interests to give prospects like Macheda as many minutes as possible.

Not that i've got anything against Michael Owen... actually that's a lie I have plenty against him in his current physical and footballing condition... just ask Oli who generally hears me say "I'll be happy with the line up...as long as Owen isn't in the squad" when I meet him at OT ...but I don't want to turn this in to an Owen bashing post.

As things stand Macheda probably finds himself 6th choice striker, just ahead of MB Diouf and behind Welbeck (who is more versatile), it would be a shame to see him being farmed out on loan, becoming disillusioned and leaving the club. He's a natural goalscorer, he has utter confidence in his ability and he has his best years ahead of him. Fergie needs to find him a decent club in the Premier League this season that play good quality football and create chances, and assure him he'll be straight back in our 1st team plans in 12 months.

Wigan, Swansea and QPR sprung to mind as possible destinations but I don't think we should send him to a struggling club. Perhaps he should join the rest of United's reserves at Sunderland...

Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:58 pm