View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:40 pm

Smalling extends United contract 
Site Admin

Post Smalling extends United contract
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 50,00.html

Quote:
Manchester United have announced that Chris Smalling has signed a new five-year deal with the club.

The 21-year-old centre-back has been rewarded for an impressive debut season at United, during which he made 33 appearances as they regained the Premier League title.

The England Under-21 international established himself as a reliable understudy to first-choice pairing Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic following his summer switch from Fulham.

And Smalling is set to enjoy more opportunities next term with John O'Shea and Wes Brown having moved to Sunderland.

"I am delighted Chris has signed a new contract," United boss Sir Alex Ferguson told the club's official website.

"Chris has been outstanding since joining us from Fulham last year.

"He is an extremely talented young defender, he's quick, strong and reads the game well. He is a great asset to the team."

Smalling arrived at Old Trafford on a four-year deal and had no hesitation in extending his contract to 2016.

"This is a great club and, in the short time I have been here, I have already achieved more than I could have ever expected to," he added.

"I am looking forward to a long and successful career at Manchester United."

Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: Smalling extends United contract
Great news. Having seen O'Shea and Brown move out this summer, to see that we've essentially already replaced them with Smalling and Jones suggests that we've strengthened considerably at the back with a view to the future.

Hopefully they'll both develop over the next few seasons to become worthy replacements for Rio and Vidic.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:31 pm
Profile WWW