View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:37 am

The future 

Post The future
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011 ... ter-united

I'd be all for a clear-out - if the names suggested in the above article were to join Van Der Sar and Neville in departing (Hargreaves, Brown, Gibson, Bebe, Kuscszak, Obertan, Owen) the Glazers would certainly have to invest at least a bit of money in replacements. Is it beginning to look like one more big name signing (creative central midfielder) along with De Gea, plus a couple more promising youngsters a la Hernandez (hopefully not a la Bebe)? And maybe we'll sell one of Nani or Berbatov if they are disgruntled?

The one caution I'd sound is, if Fergie really wants to compete toe-to-toe with Barcelona in Europe, are the likes of Ashley Young and Jack Rodwell (useful players at Premiership level) really going to help us do that?

Mon May 30, 2011 9:38 am

Post Re: The future
Not miles different from the summer of 95, albeit the competition we're up against is much stronger. The likes of Scholes, Vds, Nev, Hargreaves, Owen, Brown and Berbatov are all experienced players who could be on the way out. With a good core of young players on the fringes - Welbeck, Cleverley, Macheda, Pogba, Morrison, Tunnicliffe, Smalling and the Da Silvas, and 2 or 3 new additions, the squad could look radically different in August. I can understand the negativity over Rodwell and Young, but if we're only buying players that could help us defeat Barca, then there are only 3-4 players out there at that level. Much better to focus on ourselves, buy young players and grow as a unit. Exciting times.

Mon May 30, 2011 9:59 am
UO Muppet Hater

I am in 2 minds about all this.

The positive way to think:

We are already the best in England and very consistent in Europe too- why start messing and making too many changes to a young team with a lot of players (Hernandez, the twins, Anderson, Nani, Smalling etc) who will all probably improve. People talk about Barca as if they are unstoppable, but why has no team including them ever won the CL twice in a row? Had one game against Barca gone differently we would not even want any changes, and the players say it has been the criticism and doubts about them that has driven them to this year's performances. You can also point to Rooney's awful form foir much of the year and Valencia's injury, yet we won the league anyway.

The other view:

VDS, Scholes, Giggs have been huge important and are gone or won't have long left. On top of that, our top scorer this season may well be gone or, if he stays, is not even in the first 11 any more. If we want to ensure we don't get overhauled by Chelsea or City or someone else domestically then we cannot stand still and we have to invest. We did well to avoid some of the bigger clubs in Europe until the final and we need more goals from midfield next season to ensure we compete on all fronts.

My own view:

A few quality additions will be exactly what we need. I don't want to see the current team spirit disturbed by too many changes but we do need a bit more quality in the middle of the park.

Mon May 30, 2011 3:31 pm

I don't think there's any number of signings we could make that could put us on the same level as Barcelona. (Other than signing Iniesta or Messi ourselves...) However they are definitely beatable over two legs - we did it, Inter did it, Arsenal came close this season. They hit top form again by the final (neither of the aforementioned would have lived with them on Saturday night).

Much as I don't want Berbatov to leave, in the big games United rarely play a system where there's room for him, our second striker is inevitably Rooney as we rely on his workrate to supplement the midfield. Any signings that make a difference in that respect might give us the option of having a 2nd forward who is more of a purely creative outlet. The sub's bench for the CL final was hard one to pick (I was just as surprised that O'Shea missed out) and I don't think that can be used as a barometer of what SAF is thinking.

I'd have no objections to adding Rodwell and Young to the squad. 100% faith in Fergie's judgment on that though (as always).

Mon May 30, 2011 10:36 pm