View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:41 pm

Barcelona 

Post Barcelona
Same team that started against Chelsea, but with Evra in for O'Shea? Will we stick with the same central midfield given you-know-what?

Sun May 22, 2011 6:51 pm

Post Re: Barcelona
It seems the most likely. Park will have more to do to occupy Alves, and Valencia will probably be up against Puyol, who will be better able to deal with the ball in the air than most left-backs he's outplayed this season - they will know he is a critical outlet for us and I think they'll do their best to cut it off. OTOH Puyol is probably less of an attacking threat so Valencia may play deeper to help deal with Iniesta.

Carrick (and Giggs) will have to be on their game all night, with no room for a single lapse in concentration. But hopefully the confidence of the way we played against Chelsea will help there. I certainly hope Fergie resists the temptation to leave Chicharito on the bench and stick an extra midfielder in there. I expect us to get out of the blocks quickest and even if we only have the ascendancy for the first 10 minutes, he may be our best chance of capitalising on it with an early goal.

Sun May 22, 2011 8:54 pm

If we play our natural game and they play theirs, they will win. Its easy to get swept up in the moment and believe that because we're the champions of England we're good enough to beat anyone, but this Barca team are something special. They will dominate possession, like they do against everyone. They will move the ball around in midfield, probing, looking for the killer ball, and with deadly finishers like Pedro, Villa and Messi, they only need to get through once or twice and we'll be punished.

That means that the key to beating them is to change our natural game. We've got to negate their strengths and try and pose them some problems. I can understand the call for Hernandez and Rooney as a forward pair, but i think Hernandez is too much of a luxury in a game like this. I think he'd be much better used as an impact sub in the second half. I'd start 4-5-1, accept we're not going to see much of the ball, but defend deep, close the gaps in midfield and play on the counter with numbers and pace. Its the tactic that given teams the best chance of beating Barca over the last 3 years.

Still, whatever tactic we use, we're big underdogs and itll take a mammoth effort to overcome Barcelona. I'm always pessimistic, even when we're playing against fairly mediocre european opposition, and i dont want to bring the mood down, but i just cant see us winning sadly. 0-2 Barcelona.

Wed May 25, 2011 3:01 pm

I agree to some extent, if Barcelona score first then they can simply keep the ball and pass us to death, as per 2009. We could potentially throw on Anderson (or Fletcher?) to chase the ball around a bit more but they can tiki-taka in their sleep so we would struggle to get back into the game.

OTOH if we score first, we wouldn't necessarily need the ball. (While we have the option of adding Scholes (and perhaps Berbatov up front) to help us retain possession, we certainly won't be able to close the game out in the same way Barca can.) Sitting deep with a 4-4-1-1, they still cannot ignore the threat of Hernandez and Rooney on the break. Would be backs-to-the-wall stuff though.

Barcelona are certainly capable of penetrating our defence regardless of how we set up, which is why we simply have to hit them hard and fast in the opening minutes, and crucially, be ready to take the chance that will come our way.

Thu May 26, 2011 10:26 am

I heard Smalling talking today about trying to keep a high line and push Barca back. Its an option, and like in 2009 and we could create a few chances and hopefully nick an early goal, but its a risky tactic. Madrid tried something similar in the league game against Barca and lost 5-0. I'd much rather we use a variation of the tactic that has proved successful against Arsenal. Soak up the pressure and attack at pace.

Thu May 26, 2011 7:56 pm

Chins up, Arsenal would have knocked them out if Bendtner was any good. We are better than Arsenal, Utd to win 2-1 nerve wrecking last few minutes :)

Fri May 27, 2011 11:30 am

For all the glorious football they play, many people forget that they've ridden their fair share of luck in terms of a few crucial refereeing decisions in getting to the finals of the Champions' League in the past few years (Chelsea in 2009, possibly Arsenal and Real Madrid this year). So take away that 'luck', add the fact that Arsenal beat them 2-1 and, while we'd still be underdogs, I'd say we have a reasonable chance if we play up to our level!

Fri May 27, 2011 3:19 pm
Site Admin

Barcelona are definitely favourites but so were we in 2009 and we know what happened then. I think the players will still be hurt from what happened that night and despite them saying that revenge isn't in their minds they'll certainly be looking to prove a point and avoid that feeling again.

I'd go with the following starting eleven.

- - - - - - Van Der Sar - - - - - - -
- Rafael - Vidic - Ferdinand - Evra -
- Valencia - Carrick - Giggs - Park -
- - - - Hernandez - Rooney - - - -

We might possible leave Hernandez on the bench and bring someone else into midfield but I think we'd be making the same mistake as we did in 2009. Then the problem was playing Ronaldo up top on his own who kept dropping deeper to get the ball leaving nothing up front. I fear that Rooney would do the same thing and we'd struggle to get out.

However, with Hernandez up front it would give Rooney the freedom to drop deeper and put Busquets under pressure when we don't have the ball, which would leave Carrick and Giggs to get tight to Xavi and Iniesta.

If we can keep the midfield tight and force the ball wide then I think we have more quality there both defending and going forward so hopefully that's where the game will be won.

Fri May 27, 2011 4:23 pm
Profile WWW

Abner wrote:
For all the glorious football they play, many people forget that they've ridden their fair share of luck in terms of a few crucial refereeing decisions in getting to the finals of the Champions' League in the past few years (Chelsea in 2009, possibly Arsenal and Real Madrid this year). So take away that 'luck', add the fact that Arsenal beat them 2-1 and, while we'd still be underdogs, I'd say we have a reasonable chance if we play up to our level!

I just dont see it happening, but fair point with the 2 Arsenal wins against Barcelona in London. Both times Arsenal took a bit of a hammering in the first half and then gave Barcelona problems in the second half as they noticeably tired. Its the tactic we should employ IMO, but it still requires a great amount of fortune as Barcelona are bound to create a few chances even if we're at our very best defensively. We've got to get our tactics right, play something towards our very best and then get a bit of luck. Nerves are kicking in today!

Fri May 27, 2011 4:28 pm

Dave wrote:
Barcelona are definitely favourites but so were we in 2009 and we know what happened then. I think the players will still be hurt from what happened that night and despite them saying that revenge isn't in their minds they'll certainly be looking to prove a point and avoid that feeling again.

I'd go with the following starting eleven.

- - - - - - Van Der Sar - - - - - - -
- Rafael - Vidic - Ferdinand - Evra -
- Valencia - Carrick - Giggs - Park -
- - - - Hernandez - Rooney - - - -

We might possible leave Hernandez on the bench and bring someone else into midfield but I think we'd be making the same mistake as we did in 2009. Then the problem was playing Ronaldo up top on his own who kept dropping deeper to get the ball leaving nothing up front. I fear that Rooney would do the same thing and we'd struggle to get out.

However, with Hernandez up front it would give Rooney the freedom to drop deeper and put Busquets under pressure when we don't have the ball, which would leave Carrick and Giggs to get tight to Xavi and Iniesta.

If we can keep the midfield tight and force the ball wide then I think we have more quality there both defending and going forward so hopefully that's where the game will be won.

Thats the bit that worries me. With Messi playing centrally, drifting into midfield, and Pedro and Villa both looking for gaps to get in behind, i fear we'll just get swamped. I'd much prefer to play an extra man in midfield to sit infront of the back four and track Messi. That gives 2 choices. Drop Hernandez and play Rooney upfront on his own, or use Park as the central midfield player and move Rooney wide left. The problem doing that ofcourse is that with Alves bombing forward, Rooney may end up spending most of his time at leftback.

Its these tactical problems that are making me think we dont have much of a chance. A similar feeling to the one i had when Hatton fought Floyd Mayweather. I desperately hope it happens, but i just cant see it. :(

Fri May 27, 2011 4:37 pm
UO Muppet Hater

Rio is going to track Messi, so when Messi drops Rio will push up. This is aimed at giving us an extra man in midfield and not getting swamped as we did in 2009 where we just could not get the ball.

Fri May 27, 2011 5:02 pm

Oli wrote:
Rio is going to track Messi, so when Messi drops Rio will push up. This is aimed at giving us an extra man in midfield and not getting swamped as we did in 2009 where we just could not get the ball.

Its a nice idea. It'll require Evra and probably Fabio to be very good defensively with the movement of Villa and Pedro. Would you go with the same side that beat Chelsea and Schalke?

Fri May 27, 2011 5:19 pm
UO 2008/09 League Champion

Epic stuff!

http://youtu.be/p4rwuTkrNKc

Fri May 27, 2011 9:14 pm

John wrote:

Brilliant video. The way the past has been fused with the present in some of those scenes in the video gave me goosebumps.

Fri May 27, 2011 9:28 pm

Half time and a great goal from Rooney.

We will have to conceded that they will have the ball a lot, but keep them wide and their bigger player might keep off the ball.

Sat May 28, 2011 8:46 pm

We just came up against an awesome team, we just had no answer to them, well done Barcelona, deserving champions as much as it hurts to say that.

Sat May 28, 2011 10:01 pm
Site Admin

We can have no complaints. We were beaten by the better team. I tip my cap to them. They were magnificent.

We'll keep the Red flag flying high!!

Sat May 28, 2011 10:02 pm

Theyre phenomenal. The recriminations are pointless. We're a very good side, probably the second best in the world, but Barcelona are one of the best teams ever and certainly the best in the last 20 years. Theres no shame in losing to them. The only chance we had was to stick 10 men behind the ball and defend for a 0-0 or a lucky 1-0 win. It almost certainly wouldnt have worked and i'm glad we stuck to our traditions and tried to take them on playing our own game. Gutted, but we have to regroup and come again. Our players deserve credit for a great season.

Sat May 28, 2011 10:03 pm

I don't think anyone had a particularly bad game. Park ran his legs off, Carrick made plenty of interceptions which against any other team would have broken up their move and we would have cleared the ball. Barca somehow seemed to always have someone pop up and win the second ball, and made us look a lot worse than we actually were.

At least we scored this time!

Sat May 28, 2011 11:01 pm

Barca are just too good simple as that, we can still hold our heads high they did us proud getting so far we'll just have to settle for being the second best team in Europe.

Sun May 29, 2011 3:23 am