View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:44 am

Player of the Season? 

Post Player of the Season?
Hernandez for me. For someone in his first season, that young and from a football culture so different from that of the Premier League to be as clinical as he has been for us... phenomenal. Definitely our best finisher since Van Nistelrooy!

Sat May 14, 2011 5:30 pm

Post Re: Player of the Season?
Difficult to disagree.

I can't choose between Hernandez, Vidic, Berbatov, Van der Sar and Giggs.

Sat May 14, 2011 9:27 pm

Difficult to choose between those mentioned but I feel VDS has been our most consistent performer; even when we were playing poorly at the beginning of the season he got us out of jail countless of times.

Sun May 15, 2011 2:02 pm
UO Muppet Hater

Hernandez wins it for me as the suprise package, but so so many amazing contributions.

Sun May 15, 2011 5:33 pm
Site Admin

For me it would be Giggs or Vidic. Both had tremendous impact on so many games. Vidic is a rock at the back and would be the first name on my team sheet were I the manager. Giggs just keeps on amazing me. I could write a novel about how he changes games. Then, would come Nani. His development this season has been fantastic. If he continues to grow (and toughen up a bit) he could well become a dominant player.

I suppose we could all go on and on about alot of this years team...

Sun May 15, 2011 7:12 pm
UO Muppet Hater

Darren wrote:
For me it would be Giggs or Vidic. Both had tremendous impact on so many games. Vidic is a rock at the back and would be the first name on my team sheet were I the manager. Giggs just keeps on amazing me. I could write a novel about how he changes games. Then, would come Nani. His development this season has been fantastic. If he continues to grow (and toughen up a bit) he could well become a dominant player.

I suppose we could all go on and on about alot of this years team...

The reason I went for Hernandez was the surprise element. Giggs always amazes me too, but no more this year than last, and the same with Vidic whose form is just so consistent. Nani had a great first few months but, like Berba, has faded away a bit and lost his place in the team. In the last few months Nani is amazing for 20 mins then gets worse as the match goes on, and his decision making still lets him down at times, which is what makes the difference between him and the very top players - he has time to learn though.

So no one nominating Kuszchak or Gibson then?

Sun May 15, 2011 7:20 pm
Site Admin

Nani's decision making. Nail on the head, Oli.
He has gobs of talent, but this is still the achillies heel of his game. It had improved dramatically from seasons past though, IMHO.

Berba, I just cannot figure out. If his determination were as great as his techincal ability, he would be the best player in the world.

Koozshack nearly gave me 3 or more heart attacks yesterday alone! Darron Gibson isn't United quality for me. I just don't see it. (Maybe that's why I'm not the gaffer!)

Sun May 15, 2011 7:31 pm

The fact there are so many candidates, just goes to show how much of a team effort it's been this season - if anyone has struggled or got injured, someone else has been there to make a key contribution. Regardless of their failings, Berbatov and Nani stepped up when they were needed (which turned out to be quite a lot at the start of the season) and have possibly both had their best seasons in a United shirt. The PL top scorer and the player with most assists (by a long way), and yet neither of them is anyone's player of the season.

Hernandez nearly steals it for me, who'd have thought that the £6m virtual unknown would end up with more league goals than Drogba or Torres (not to mention Rooney). He has been a breath of fresh air this season.

But my vote would go to Edwin van der Sar. He's always been great for us but it's been more important than ever this season, with some huge saves. It says a lot that his only cock-up of the season accounted for the only 2 points we've dropped at home - just how many points has he gained us? Those will be some big gloves to fill.

Sun May 15, 2011 8:54 pm

I'd have to go for Hernandez amazing debut season to settle in so well and get so many goals. He's definitely got a massive future ahead of him.

Of course Giggsy, Vidic, VDS have all had great seasons as well and could easily be considered players of the season in their own right.

In terms of overall improvement Rafael and Fabio have come on really well this season, they've both done great jobs at right back.

Sun May 15, 2011 11:31 pm

VDS or Vidic for me.

Both have been the solid rocks on which this title was based.

Mon May 16, 2011 8:45 am

For me it was Nemanja Vidic, but Giggs was outstanding this year..One of this two players..

Tue May 17, 2011 1:03 pm
Site Admin

It could be any one from Van Der Sar, Vidic, Giggs or Hernandez for me. I'd give it to Vidic personally but if any of those four got it then I wouldn't complain.

It is amazing that Nani with the most assists and Berbatov with the most goals look like they're struggling to even make it into the team for the Champions League final but I guess with the emergence of Hernandez and the return of Valencia plus the workrate and performances Park has put in over the last few weeks it's difficult to see how they'd fit in our first choice eleven.

Tue May 17, 2011 1:42 pm
Profile WWW

I'm surprised Smalling hasn't even had a mention?

Easy to get all sentimental about VDS but I don't think he's had enough to do to influence the season.

Hernandez has been a revelation. Great goals in his first season.

Vidic is my favourite player and is a beast of a defender, but............

The man who's really needed in the big games. The man asked to play left back, left mid, through the middle and more importantly centre mid in the crunch games.............

RYAN GIGGS

Thu May 19, 2011 3:47 am

Cookster68 wrote:
I'm surprised Smalling hasn't even had a mention?

To be fair most seasons he would have been highlighted as having a very impressive debut season, slotting in nicely when needed and looking like a class act. :) I don't think he comes close to the kind of impact Chicharito made though.

Thu May 19, 2011 8:40 am

Forwards always get the glory :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat May 28, 2011 8:39 pm