View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:38 pm

Fletcher set three match test 
Site Admin

Post Fletcher set three match test
http://www.unitedonline.co.uk/news-and- ... hp?id=3756

Quote:
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is offering 'big-game player' Darren Fletcher three matches to prove his fitness before the UEFA Champions League final against Barcelona.

Wed May 11, 2011 9:22 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: Fletcher set three match test
It's actually a positive that we haven't really missed Fletcher on the field over the last few weeks (apart from possibly the Arsenal game) so having him back as well will surely be a boost going into the Champions League final if he can prove his fitness.

I'm sure Fergie won't risk him if he's not at his energetic best but with three games for him before then I'm sure he'll be back to his best and will hopefully be the difference and show what we were lacking when we played Barcelona a couple of years ago.

Wed May 11, 2011 9:25 am
Profile WWW

Anderson has looked pretty good in his last couple of outings and I fancy a final lineup of

--------- VDS
Rafael Rio Vidic Evra
----- Carrick Giggs
Valencia Rooney Anderson/Park
------- Hernandez

Ando gives us more flexibility of dropping back and converting to a 4-3-3 if Carrick and Giggs get overrun, which he would be better suited to than Park. The formation would probably be a bit lopsided as Valencia should play practically level with Hernandez to get at Puyol (assuming he's at LB), while the opposite winger's job would be come inside and disrupt their deeper lying playmakers but still burst forward when we do have the ball. Park gets the edge on that job description but Ando might be better at tracking their midfield runners.

The only way Fletch gets a start is if we go 4-3-3 from the beginning, with Valencia - Rooney - Park across the front, but I think Chicharito has to start as his very presence forces the opposition to defend deep and gives us more breathing room in the middle. He's definitely someone you'd want on the bench, particularly if we need to protect a lead late on (and I'll bite your hand off right now if that's what we'll be doing! :) ).

Wed May 11, 2011 10:20 am
Site Admin

I'd like to think we'd start with the same lineup as the one that faced Chelsea.

I think Anderson is too inconsistent at the moment to get a starting place but would be good to bring off the bench and would give us a bit of energy if we needed it. I think the only question is whether Carrick would start (who looks nearly back to his best alongside Giggs) or whether Fletcher would be the better defensive option.

I think last time we gave too much respect to Barcelona by playing Ronaldo up front on his own and Rooney wide left despite having Berbatov and Tevez on the bench.

Our squad is much more balanced now so I'd really like to see us go for it with Hernandez up top and Rooney filling the gap behind him and the midfield.

That'd also give us some great options from the bench too with Nani, Anderson and Berbatov all available to come on and make an impact if needed.

Wed May 11, 2011 10:38 am
Profile WWW