View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:55 am

Who should replace Van der Sar? 

Who would you like to replace Van der Sar?
Adler 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Akinfeev 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Buffon 45%  45%  [ 10 ]
De Gea 23%  23%  [ 5 ]
Kuszczak 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Lindegaard 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Lloris 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Neuer 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Reina 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Stekelenburg 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 22

Who should replace Van der Sar? 
Site Admin

Post Who should replace Van der Sar?
As it's being discussed everywhere at the moment, I thought a quick poll on who people would like to see replace Van der Sar might be a good insight into who people would like to see in goal next season?

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:25 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Who should replace Van der Sar?
My goodness, decisions decisions. I'm voting for De Gea, but I don't think it'll pan out that way come the summer.

The Guardian and Telegraph are reporting today, following comments apparently made by Eric Steele, that we have 3 targets. They have, arbitrarily?, decided these targets are as follows (perhaps in order of how red Fergie's nose flushes when their name is mentioned?): Neuer, Stekelenburg and De Gea.

Meanwhile the red-top papers are still frothing at the mouth at the prospect of us getting Reina.

Fergie dismissed the 'new number 1' question in today's press conference saying: "We're okay at the moment, we're fine.".

Also Lindegaard may start tomorrow.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:59 pm

Forgot to mention, Quieroz is apparently encouraging us to move for 22 year old Rui Patricio from Sporting. I'm sure he won't be anyone's choice in this poll but the Portuguese connection could make this guy a realistic possibility if other deals fail.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:08 pm
Site Admin

Yeah I've heard the Neuer, Stekelenburg and De Gea rumour too with De Gea being the 3rd choice due to them wanting in excess of £20m for him.

Between Neuer and Stekelenburg I'm not really sure. Neuer would probably be my preferred choice but he's still young and relatively inexperienced. Whereas I'm not convinced that Stekelenburg is actually all that good but has really made a name for himself as the Dutch national keeper due to a lack of other options in goal.

I'm still hoping for Buffon though :)

Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:48 pm
Profile WWW

Shay Given?

Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:38 pm

Hoping that Lindegaard will turn out to be the new Schmeichel, but pragmatically Buffon would be the best option. Is there any likelihood that United are actually considering him?

Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:07 pm
UO 2008/09 League Champion

I've gone for Buffon as well. I think that Edwin's experience has been one of his best assets during his time at OT and that would make me think that someone young isn't the way to go.

Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:29 am

In an ideal world definitely Buffon i think he's still the best keeper in the world and at 33 he's not a bad age either. Whether there's a realistic possibility of it happening is another thing but if he was interested in the move i dont think Juve could begrudge him a move with the loyalty he has shown them over the years especially when they were relegated.

Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:59 am

Quotes attributed to Rene Meulensteen widely covered in today's papers. Basically he says Stekelenburg is our number one target. Mike Phelan also quoted as saying we are keeping tabs on Rui Patricio. Cheaper options?

Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:09 am
UO Illegal Cannuck

Only, and yes, the ONLY issue I see with Buffon is the language barrier, unless I'm mistaken and he does speak English?

Don't need to state how crucial communication is when it comes to the back 4...

Either way..I say even if we have to spend upto $15 million on Buffon, to go for it...We'll be sorted for the next 5 years at least and we know we'll be getting quality...

Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:43 am

I've gone for Stekelenburg, he was very impressive in the WC, probably speaks English and at 28 years of age is at a good age to be our number one for a number of years, I've watched him a few times and at 6'6 tall he is really intimidating, a great shot stopper and good on one on one situations.

Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:52 pm

Haven't seen enough of them to really judge, but its important that we look for the right attributes when replacing Edwin. His height/command in the air, coolness, concentration and kicking ability have made him such a success. Rather than look for a great shot stopper, we need someone steady and predictable.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:33 pm

hi there my 1st time on here, never knew it exsisted but my friend had one on his team(WILL NOT SAY WHO?) i voted for buffon i used to like parma so just love him, but doubt if we have a chance of getting him. wish utd would buy a high p[rofile player but guess as long asd we are winning that is the important thing. i was a one utd member but only went to one game last season so left it this time. but sure i will rejoin for next season.
dave

Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:53 am

"I think it's hard for me to come back to Spain to play. I think my place is in England – and right now that is with Liverpool... It's hard to see me returning to Spain. Barcelona and Madrid are the two teams you would aspire to in Spain and that's impossible. [At United,] Edwin van der Sar is hanging up his gloves and people say that Arsenal are looking. I can't do or say anything; I renewed my contract with Liverpool last year. But what a player wants, logically, is to challenge for titles."

Pepe Reina angling for a move today.

Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:30 pm

"Manchester United? It is a great club but I cannot say anymore... We will wait and see what happens during the summer. I might play abroad but I do not know where...This is important for my progression as a professional. I know that big clubs are interested in me, but I am waiting to see what happens."

Hugo Lloris angling for a move?

Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:32 pm

Reina is quality.

Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:11 pm

Quote:
Reina is quality.

Not so sure myself. He's 'clanger' prone.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:01 pm

Spanish paper reporting that we've signed De Gea today. This will be the second time the deal has been 'done' though after Guillem Balague 'confirmed' it a few months back.

Spanish website link if anyone is interested: http://www.sport.es/default.asp?idpubli ... cio_PK=805

Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:58 pm

Shaun wrote:
Reina is quality.

A Scouse cunt? No thanks.

De Gea is supposedly a done deal.

I'm quite surprised if that's the case considering his youth and inexperience, but he's extremely talented.

Eric Steele looks like he's done a lot of work on getting the right man in, so whoever we go for I have faith it will be the right choice.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:52 pm

Watched Athletico last night and De Gea looked quality.

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:24 pm