View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:33 pm

Geordies bid for Wesley 
UO Gaffer

Post Geordies bid for Wesley
Bid has been knocked back though according to BBC...this one's not done yet though if I'm any judge at all.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:07 pm

rumour is fergie is lining up the rangers right back hutton to replace him.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:36 pm
UO Gaffer

It would leave us worryingly thin at the back if he does go. Young Simpson doesn't look up to it, Gary isn't fit, Pique and O'Shea can "do a job" but that isn't enough. If that kid comes from Rangers, great, but otherwise it seems daft.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:53 pm
UO Resident Physician

And presumably he won't be able to play in the Champions League for us. If this all goes through he must be very certain that GN will be fit by mid February.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:48 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
Sam Allardyce admits he could make another attempt to bring Manchester United defender Wes Brown to Newcastle United.

Earlier on Friday, Red Devils boss Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed he had rejected an offer from Newcastle for Brown.

The England international is out of contract at the end of the season and has turned down the champions' final offer of an extension.

Magpies boss Allardyce is planning talks with chairman Chris Mort regarding another bid and believes Brown could help to solve his side's defensive frailties.

"I will have to speak to the chairman over that," said Allardyce on Sky Sports News.

"From my point of view, I would like Wes Brown very, very much. A hugely experienced defender coming in would be fantastic.

"From our point of view, we have had a problem of not keeping enough clean sheets and this effectively means we have to score at least two goals to win a football match.

"If we can resurrect that side of our defensive problems with Wes, that would be fantastic. I would have to speak to Chris on that to see whether we can move it forward or whether we can't."

But Allardyce did play down a link to Chelsea defender Tal Ben Haim, who he worked with during his time as Bolton Wanderers manager.

Reports claimed Newcastle were lining up a loan bid for the Israel international, but Allardyce is not planning a move for the centre-half.

He added: "I don't think so at the moment, that's not one we've certainly pursued anyway."

Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:15 pm
Profile WWW

I've got a feeling that Fergie is pretty determined to get this Hutton lad.

Apparently he watched him in the Scotland vs Italy qualifier where Hutton had a blinder and was on top form all game. Obviously its a big step making the jump from SPL to the Premiership, as has been painfully seen in the disastrous switches made by Liam Miller and Barry Ferguson.

However, with Wes looking increasingly more like a future barcode and Gary being a permanent fixture on the injury table it seems sensible that we should be making a move for a decent right-back, which is apparently what Hutton is. He's young too which is always a big plus. Spurs seem to be sticking their noses in as well but supposedly he's turned them down.

Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:25 am

...after all that it seems that we won't be buying anyone before February. Sky Sports News are reporting that Fergie has no intentions of making any new acquisitions in the window.

Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:41 am
UO 2006/07 League Champion

Ive a great deal of faith that Simpson or Pique will do a job in years to come but it is improtant to keep Nev fit or wes on the books to avoid having to throw them in week in week out too early.

I have seen nothing of Hutton to comment on whether or not he's worth a united shirt or not but i trust SAF's judgemant now more than ever with his most recent additions to make the correct decision over whether we promote from within or make another HP signing.

Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:35 am
We need a new right back anyway as proper cover for Nev as Wes isn't one, whether he stays or goes. If he goes then we especially do. Simpson would be a gamble right now as cover for Nev if Wes goes.

Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:20 pm

watched a couple of Hutton's games during the Euro qualifiers and the Champions League. Not a lot of games but my impression of him is he is great going forward but defensively a bit suspect. Wouldn't really want him as a replacement of Brown unless SAF is certain this lad will improve by leaps and bounds defensively...

Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:14 pm
UO 2008/09 League Champion

I don't really see Fergie letting Wes go at the moment, especially if there's noboby coming in. He's said it many times that the squad was caught a bit thin towards the back end of last season and if Wes goes, it's very likely to happen again.

Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:43 am

watched a couple of Hutton's games during the Euro qualifiers and the Champions League. Not a lot of games but my impression of him is he is great going forward but defensively a bit suspect. Wouldn't really want him as a replacement of Brown unless SAF is certain this lad will improve by leaps and bounds defensively...

Absolutely spot on. I would be gobsmacked if we paid £8-12m for Hutton. He has made some eye-catching forward runs and is good attacking, but in the Italy World Cup qualifier and the game where Rangers were gubbed 3-0 at home by Lyon he looked seriously suspect. They were playing balls in behind him and running onto them for fun.

I think we just have to hope Gary Neville returns to fitness and gives us a year or two to find a sutiable replacement. Very disappointing if Brown leaves though, as he showed on Saturday he may not be great going forward but he shackled Ashley Young with consummate ease.

Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:00 pm

Man United should go and buy a right-back. it`s hard for G.Nevill to be 100% fit after his long-time injury. and even if we already have Brown.. I can`t see him able to play the Knock-out stages of the Champions League :!:

Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:45 pm

Problem is that the likes of Hutton and Bosingwa who we have been limked with would be unable to play in the champions league for another club. Brown will continue to do a decent job until Nev regains full fitness.

Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:01 pm

I don't think Wes will leave this January even if he doesn't sign a new contract so i don't think we will rush into signing a right back, i just have a feeling that we will go for Hutton in the summer.

Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:37 pm