View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:01 pm

Birmingham (H) 

Post Birmingham (H)
1-0 up, just over the hour mark. No idea how we haven't had a second yet. We are playing reasonably well, Tevez in particular has been outstanding, though I think Nani has been hopeless so far!

Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:28 pm

Oh well. Like everyone else I'm sure, I had a horrible feeling when Birmingham won a couple of late free-kicks there. I can't believe people were leaving the game early - were they not worried about whether their team would go on to win the game?

We have been way off our best in the past two games, but three points is three points. Hopefully Tevez' injury isn't too serious, and we'll get Rooney back in action for Villa on Saturday.

Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:01 pm

Scraped it, you could say. They never really posed us many problems, but this was nowhere near a clinical performance by us. The goal was fantastic; second goal Tevez has scored this season set up as a result of brilliant understanding between him and Ronaldo/Rooney..
Nani's been poor recently; he was impressive in bits at the start of the season. Let's hope he develops quickly and returns to form...
Would've been good if we'd scored a couple more. We seemed to switch off in the second half... I hope this doesn't have its consequences later in the season, where goal difference begins to play a role; Arsenal just beat the Hammers 2-0 and are fast catching up.
A reasonable start to what I hope will be a great year for us.

Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:01 pm

You have to give Nani time to settle in, like we did with Ronaldo in his first year.

Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:59 pm

Not the best of performances but we ended up with the 3 points and that's what counts, we are close to a having almost our full squad available again and i would expect us to be firing on all cylinders again.

Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:24 am
Site Admin

Nani needs time and in my opinion his passing was no worse than Carrick's at times so I think people need to stop singling out players when they have one bad game. If players have an extended run of poor form and play badly continuously on a regular basis then I think it's fair to say something but there's no point picking up on players having an "off day".

Oli's Fans View is also available here...

http://www.manutdnews.co.uk/?p=162

Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:49 am
Profile WWW
UO 2006/07 League Champion

It was a hangover perfomance by both crowd & players yesterday and im glad we held on through the last 10 mins to avoid further points being dropped after the blip at Upton Park.

I do like how Nani is developing he is very similar to the way Ronaldo played in his first season so I expect he will improve over a similar timescale to Ronaldo we shall just have to wait and see if he develops to anything like the world beater standard that Ronnie has, I think it's also gone against him the phenominal rate at which the other summer arrivals have settled into the side Anderson,Hargreaves & Tevez have all been immense since they arrived and it has left him looking a little pale in comparison but I have every faith his time to shine will come over the reaminder of thi season and the years to come.

Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:47 am
UO Gaffer

That about sums it up for me too mate, not fair to single the lad out at all, his passing was wayward in places but the workrate was certainly there and that's all you can ask at first.

Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:47 pm

That about sums it up for me too mate, not fair to single the lad out at all, his passing was wayward in places but the workrate was certainly there and that's all you can ask at first.

I agree his workrate is good, and he's giving 100% when he plays, but so does Fletcher and that doesn't exempt him from criticism. We are talking about a player who cost an eight-figure sum, and is 21 years old, not some green behind the ears teenager. I know the price tag is not his fault, but that doesn't change the fact that, along with some extremely errant passing, his first touch has been very poor and he has made some baffling decisions while in possession of the ball.

I'm not writing him off, he's obviously got a very positive future and I'm sure he'll come good eventually, but after a very bright start in the first month or so he seems to have gone off the boil quite badly - in light of which I don't expect to see him in the first team too much over the next few months.

What does everyone make of Fergie's comments re: the crowd? I doubt anyone would argue the atmosphere was good, but perhaps someone ought to remind the Godfather that the regime he is working under has lost us several thousand of our more vociferous supporters, while increasing ticket prices is encouraging more and more corporate and part-time supporters/day trippers...

Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:33 pm
UO Muppet Hater

What does everyone make of Fergie's comments re: the crowd? I doubt anyone would argue the atmosphere was good, but perhaps someone ought to remind the Godfather that the regime he is working under has lost us several thousand of our more vociferous supporters, while increasing ticket prices is encouraging more and more corporate and part-time supporters/day trippers...

Maybe, but the same fans can make noise in other games, so it is not entirely down to that. Just everyone was hungover and had we won 3-0 Ferguson would not have mentioned it. The players did not do much to lift it either!

Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:57 pm
UO's Cork Lass

IMUSA's Colin Hendrie has hit back strongly at the criticism directed at fans.....

Sir Alex upsets Manchester United fans
Soccernet Jan. 2, 2008

Old Trafford is like a 'police state' which leaves supporters paralysed by fear, a spokesman from the Independent Manchester United Supporters Association claimed on Wednesday.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson compared the atmosphere at Tuesday's Premier League win over Birmingham to a funeral, urging fans to back the team more vocally.

Those comments have upset the IMUSA's Colin Hendrie, who accused Ferguson of 'a lack of understanding' of the plight supporters face.

'I think he could benefit from sitting in the ground,' said Hendrie, who believes Old Trafford stewards come down too hard on fans who stand at moments of excitement.

'You can't stand up to make a noise. If you try to stand up, you've got stewards who are ejecting you, they're taking your season ticket away from you.

'It's almost like a police state in a football ground now and if you do stand up, people will take your arm, put it behind the back of your neck and throw you out of the ground.

'Under those circumstances, what atmosphere does he (Ferguson) want?

'The only atmosphere we've got is one where we're a little bit frightened of losing £1,000 for the season ticket we've paid for.'

The noise level in the stadium as United laboured to a 1-0 win over Alex McLeish's strugglers yesterday was non-existent at times, a fact gleefully pointed out by the visiting fans.

Sitting in the directors' box as he completed a two-match touchline ban, the lack of atmosphere was even more noticeable to Ferguson.

So, just over seven years after former captain Roy Keane laid into United's 'prawn sandwich brigade', Ferguson had his say.

'The crowd were dead,' complained the Scot. 'It was like a funeral it was so quiet.'

Hendrie revealed Ferguson's comments had not gone down well with his fellow fans.

'A lot of people are pretty upset, because it shows a lack of understanding about what it's like to be a football fan in 2008,' he said on Sky Sports News.

'Fergie's going back to the days 10 years ago where it was absolutely fantastic, you could stand.

'But you can't do that now and the football authorities need to make up their minds whether they want to have fans sitting neatly in a row not being able to do anything or if they want an atmosphere in the football grounds again.'

Hendrie pointed to the example of United's neighbours Manchester City, where he claims stewards are far more tolerant.

'It's actually not against the law to stand up. It's to do with the terms and conditions on the ticket,' he explained.

'The interpretation of that rule is different at different grounds.

'For example, at City, they've actually got a singing area.

'Because you're allowed to stand in moments of excitement, what they say at City is, 'If you're standing up singing, you're obviously excited, so carry on singing'.

'That doesn't happen at Old Trafford.'

for the sake of reference here's the link

Please help the Manchester United Supporters Trust to get 100,000 members- it won't cost you anything and your email address is protected by the Data Protection Act. Join for free at https://www.joinmust.org/join/free.php

Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:18 pm
Profile WWW
UO Muppet Hater

People have moaned about it for 10 years at least, so it is not attributable to the takeover etc. It is also a problem at all grounds not just ours. But Colin is pretty spot on anyway- the people who run the game have to make a choice.

Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:26 pm