View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:03 pm

Man Utd to honour Munich victims 
Site Admin

Post Man Utd to honour Munich victims
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 131914.stm

Quote:
Manchester United will play in non-sponsored shirts, numbered one to 11, in their match on 10 February in honour of the Munich air crash victims.

The Premier League game against rivals Manchester City is four days after the 50th anniversary of the tragedy.

Didn't think this would get the go ahead but it's a nice touch and probably helped with Sir Bobby's role at the club.

Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:19 am
Profile WWW

Very appropriate - its only right those that perished should be remembered in the right way.

Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:40 am

this is a brilliant idea, i think it will be an emotional day all round.

good to see this happening, im gonna do my best to be there for the service before the game.

Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:44 am

Pleasantly surprised, and delighted, to see this is happening.

Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:57 am

Great idea, i hope the fans and players make it a day to remember, on that day 50 years ago some of United's finest ever players lost their lives, they left this earth but that was not the only thing they left behind, they left a way of life for some if us, a meaning in a world with no meaning and here we are different races different beliefs but UNITED under a legacy they left behind a legacy they had to pay their lives for to create.

Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:52 pm
UO Muppet Hater

United have done well to agree to this. Had they not the backlash would have been huge. The opposition was not going to come from the club but would have come from AIG/ Nike, but imagine the 'sponsors ignore victims of Munich' splashed across the headlines. The good PR they get from agreeing it is worth the decision alone for them.

But in fairness this is a win-win situation where the club - for once- have actually listened and worked hard to implement these measures.

I am making a request to the club that the shirts made for the amtch are auctioned for charity. They would make a fortune for, for example, the families of the victims and United's affiliate chartities such as Unicef.

Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:38 pm

I am making a request to the club that the shirts made for the amtch are auctioned for charity. They would make a fortune for, for example, the families of the victims and United's affiliate chartities such as Unicef.

Great idea.

Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:50 pm
UO Gaffer

Glad to see this happening. Good shout with the auction too Oli. The proceeds would have to go to the victims families for me. The club never did right by them and it should be something that they take the time to put right now.

Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:11 pm

Fantastic idea Oli, is there any means by which an idea like this can be put forward to the club for consideration?

Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:31 pm

I'm sure it said in the Times yesterday that the shirts will be going to family members of the victims. Its a cracking gesture, and hopefully even more will be done across football next february to remember the tragedy.

Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:04 pm

cracking idea, good to see the team back then remebered in this way, will be an emotional day for the fans, team and ex players who played around the same time.
i agre with Oli, auctioning off the shirts is a great idea!!! :D

who put the ball in the germans net? OLE GUNNER SOLSKJAER ! ! ! ! Gary Neville is a red, is a red, is a red, Gary Neville is a red, he hates scousers ! ! ! WERE GONNA WIN THE LEAGUE ! ! WERE GONNA WIN THE LEAGUE ! ! !

Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:41 pm
UO Muppet Hater

The shirts will be auctioned. I spoke to the club expecting a fight but that was already their plan and just was not mentioned in the press release.

Whatever we think of the club and for whatever reasons they are doing this, they have got it spot on.

Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:51 am
Site Admin

All monies from an auction should go to the families. It would go a long way in my mind for the club to finally do something for the families. It's far too long overdue.

Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:03 am
UO's Cork Lass

Even if it is used to take care of the graves some of which have been vandalised by scumbags, that would be something but yes the familes do deserve to be taken care of big time.

Please help the Manchester United Supporters Trust to get 100,000 members- it won't cost you anything and your email address is protected by the Data Protection Act. Join for free at https://www.joinmust.org/join/free.php

Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:07 pm
Profile WWW

That's a wonderful thing to do, the FA and premier league also deserve some credit for allowing this to take place, it should turn out to be a very memorable experience.

Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:03 am
Hungry like the Wolf

I'm glad this has finally got the go ahead. A lot of credit goes to the bloke who thought up the idea.
The game should be a great occasion and hopefully the City fans will pay their respects as well.
All I need now is to convince the wife that it would be a good idea if I blow all our savings on a shirt.

Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:15 am

Manchester City's shirt sponsors and manufacturer will have their branding removed from the kit worn in the Munich anniversary derby on February 10 at Old Trafford.

The decision by Thomas Cook.com and Le Coq Sportif came after talks between the companies and the supporters.
Daily Mail

It`s a nice move from City!! 8)

Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:34 pm
UO Muppet Hater

Manchester City's shirt sponsors and manufacturer will have their branding removed from the kit worn in the Munich anniversary derby on February 10 at Old Trafford.

The decision by Thomas Cook.com and Le Coq Sportif came after talks between the companies and the supporters.
Daily Mail

It`s a nice move from City!! 8)

Yeh, cannot imagine this will be endorse by most of their hardcore. How many City songs do NOT refer to us as Munichs? If United win they'll all sing Munich songs and will kick off. If they win United will do them after. The only way it has any way of ending peacefully is if it is a draw.

Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:44 pm

Nice move by City but as Oli said i don't think their fans will respect that and I'm sure some will be even disappointed at their clubs move, it's really sad how low humans can go, some of our fans in the past are not exempt from this, i remember we used to taunt the Spurs fans with hissing sounds when they started waving there arms in reference to Munich, don't know if this still goes on, very sad if it does.

Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:03 pm
UO Muppet Hater

Nice move by City but as Oli said i don't think their fans will respect that and I'm sure some will be even disappointed at their clubs move, it's really sad how low humans can go, some of our fans in the past are not exempt from this, i remember we used to taunt the Spurs fans with hissing sounds when they started waving there arms in reference to Munich, don't know if this still goes on, very sad if it does.

Yes it certainly does go on and i cannot remember the last time we played Spurs withpout me hearing some idiot shouting out something about Auschwitz or gas. Being jewish I do not always react that well.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:13 am