View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:33 pm

Anderson 
UO Muppet Hater

Jonesy wrote:
Why should Fletch want to go elsewhere? Is he not more likely to want to prove himself here than take a step down? If the boss says he doesn't want him thats one thing but from what I've heard from the kid he's not going to want to go anywhere without a fight. And that's exactly the kind of player we want in the squad, surely?

I like super fletch and I agree with the sentiment of what your saying but I just dont see him being the equal of anyone that does what he does.

His best performances in a united shirt have been based around him stopping the other side playing and then setting our creative lads on their way but this season we have Hargreaves & Anderson who are much better at it than Fletch.

I'm not saying we should get shut just that he will struggle to get in the side regularly and when he's been out a while it shows when he gets a game.

I think players come in and out of fashion. Fletcher is in the position now that Butt/ P Nev were in once- not key players but played a useful role in the squad. They looked to be done when Kleb/ Djemba came but had they stayed they would have played. Similarly O'Shea had a while being totally unused but hung in there and now gets a regular game again. So it is upto Fletcher but his luck may change, a few injuries etc and he will be in the side. Football is unpredictable, you could even see G Nev getting an injury, Danny Simpson on loan, Wes in the middle due to another injury and Fletcher needed at right back.

Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:37 pm
Fletch does a specific job, in a average way. O'Shea can play in a variety of different postions in an average way.

Phil Nev and Nicky Butt were good at what they did specifically, with Phil Nev being more of an all-rounder that could play in the middle as a stop man.

It's logical to me that Nicky Butt went because he had more about him than to sit on the subs bench, and Phil Nev was more gifted than just being a utility player (hence his captaincy at Everton).

O'Shea is more valuable to us than Fletch in my opinion because he's the utilty player that Fletch isn't.

Fletch should be aware of those permutations and be thankful he's had the football he's been given here.

Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:01 am

Our midfield is looking good at the moment, much stronger than last season where we had only Carrick, Scholes, O'Shea, and Fletch. The emergence of Anderson has made Scholes' absence easier to bear, which is great becuase in today's game its about having a deep squad with talent.

Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:21 am
UO 2006/07 League Champion

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 130770.stm

Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:52 pm
UO Gaffer

The other thing the likes of Phil Nev did was keep the players in front of them on their toes. That's another reason you want lads like Fletch in the squad for me - their hunger alone does plenty to make sure no-one gets complacent. As good as our midfield is, the only way I'd be halfway happy to see him go is if it was because some other kid had come through the ranks to stake a claim for a first team place.

As for Anderson though, looks like a revelation already. Cracking bit of business to get him when we did really.

Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:16 pm
UO's Canuck EH?

It's great to see everyone appreciating him, because I've been impressed by him as well. I'm excited for him, and can't wait to see him develop over the next few years.

Not having a go at Banksy #7 but I think its unacceptable to have thought of him as a bad guy initially, when 95% of everyone said they knew nothing about Anderson when he was signed.

This nonsense happens every time United signs a new player...everyone expects them to have a cracking first few games and steal the show, and anything shy of that is considered to be a 'flop'

Maybe those fans are just over excited but by now you should know better.

Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:43 pm
Profile WWW

i thought hed be a more attacking player but hes seemed to be playing a holding role

Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:38 pm